Wednesday 22 July 2015

Elvin Ng finally gets to play a bad boy in new drama

Remember Elvin Ng’s role as high school counsellor Wu Yanbin (Mr Goh) from 2012 hit drama Don’t Stop Believin’? Well, the actor will be reprising his role and the character will making a special appearance in eight episodes of Channel 8’s new long-form series, Life’s Blessings, which co-stars Felicia Chin as the doppelgänger of Du Siman (Felicia’s character in Don’t Stop Believin’).

Calling it a breeze for him to step into the shoes of Mr Goh again, Elvin said, “I enjoy playing my character, which comes in handy when I’m filming my scenes for the show. Even now, people still call me ‘Mr. Goh, Mr. Goh’ when I walk down the streets.”

“I think I resemble my character in real life. We’re both kind-hearted and the type of guy you won’t have a problem taking home to meet the parents… I’m just kidding, how can anyone boast about themselves like that, right?” Elvin said with a laugh.

It also helps that both Elvin and Felicia are friends who continued to keep in touch after the drama ended. The pair would go on shopping trips together and even share secrets with each other. Don’t be mistaken however, added Elvin, “It isn’t just the two of us, though.”

Always the “good guy” and never the “baddie”, apart from his role as a gangster who was just released from prison in drama series I’m in Charge, the 34-year-old shared that he’d be acting as a villain who is willing to do anything for fame and fortune in a new drama series, after Life Blessings wraps for him in August.

Although he is unable to reveal more details about the show yet, he mentioned that he plans to tour Australia for a while before shooting the new show.

Elvin explained, “I don’t mind playing the villain, though I am definitely more concerned about my fans’ reactions. I hope they don’t dislike me too much. I hope that my ‘Mr. Goh’ character will leave the audience with a good impression, win some points and then [when I play the villain character, I can afford to] lose some points.”

When asked if he plans to launch a second book, following his first book, Our Epic Little Lives – An Amusement Park, A Horse’s Eye & Little Orange Suns, he revealed that being an author is a thing of the past: “I’m out of inspiration and there’s nothing much I want to write about. I will only begin writing again when I have inspiration and the mood to write.”

He also expressed that never was a business-minded type of man, unlike fellow celebrities who are also entrepreneurs, and explained that he plans to spend at least the next five years focusing whole heartedly on his acting.

Catch Elvin in Life’s Blessings, which premieres on October 19, every Monday to Friday at 7.30 pm on Channel 8.