Thursday 9 April 2015

“Lucky” Taufik Batisah weds his long-time friend

Singapore’s first Idol is officially off the market.

Yesterday, Malay pop prince Taufik Batisah married production manager Sheena Akbal, just less than a month after dropping the bombshell about his engagement. Around 3,000 guests showed up at Luzerne Building’s Muslim Delights for the rooftop luncheon and joined a lengthy queue to offer their well-wishes to the newlyweds. The solemnisation was also held at the same location that morning.

The pair has been friends even before Taufik joined – and won – Singapore Idol in 2004, but only got closer over the past couple of years and discussed about settling down last year.

While most folks – particularly Taufik’s grieving fans – would be quick to think Sheena as the one who struck gold by snagging Taufik, he claims that he is actually “the lucky guy”.

“I’m such a difficult person and sometimes it’s not easy to understand me, but she knows me inside out,” Taufik told reporters. “To me, she is the most beautiful person, but she’s even more beautiful on the inside, and that was the clincher – I know that this is the girl I can spend the rest of my life with and who will help me become a better person.”

He later added, “My requirements for a partner is that they have to be patient, understand my work, and be loving – and those are all characteristics that Sheena has. I don’t think I could ever find someone who is so chill, who doesn’t care about fame, doesn’t mind all the gossip around me; she just wants to be there to support me and be my shoulder to lean on.”