Thursday 24 December 2015

Scooter Braun: Comedy roast was a turning point in Justin Bieber's career

Justin Bieber's comedy roast marked a turning point in his career, according to Scooter Braun.

The 21-year-old singer's reputation took a hit following a series of damaging stories shortly after he became a worldwide star, and his talent manager has revealed how he orchestrated a plan to transform the public's perception of the 'Love Yourself' hitmaker.

Recalling the circumstances behind Justin's Comedy Central roast, Scooter said: "I had a meeting in the office, and I said: 'O.K., guys, these are some of my ideas. What person do you think Justin should do the intense sit-down interview with? Is it Katie Couric? Do we call Oprah and see if we can do a special?'

"And Ava [Coleman] - 21 years old, at the time an intern - she said: 'I just think my generation doesn't care about that. I think if you want people to see that he's for real, he should do a Comedy Central roast.'

"And I went: 'That is genius. Get it done.' Twenty-four hours later, I was on the phone with Comedy Central."

The roast - which was staged earlier this year - was hosted by comedian Kevin Hart and showcased Justin's self-deprecating side.

Scooter also admitted Justin has gone through some unpleasant experiences over the last few years and that in time, he'll reveal the depths he reached.

He told the New York Times newspaper: "The outsiders don't really know what was happening. It was far worse than people realise. And when he is ready, he will tell what he was going through.

"But it's a hard thing to watch someone you care and genuinely love go through that. I'm really, really happy that's over."