Thursday 4 February 2016

Jeffrey Xu: I’m not Felicia Chin’s mystery man


“Nope, there’s no way it was me,” Jeffrey Xu chuckled when Toggle asked if he was the mysterious Duke YES 933 DJ Xie Jiafa spotted Felicia Chin holding hands with. Speaking to Toggle at the set of upcoming longform drama Peace & Prosperity, he explained that while he has gotten closer to his fellow artiste, he’s just good friends with her.

“We got to know each other better while filming the drama Life – Fear Not and we happen to have a bunch of mutual friends and we go to the same church as well,” the 27-year-old, who plays Dawn Yeoh’s husband in the series, explained. “It’s really unlikely for us to go out together alone and we rarely do; it’s always a group outing.”

“I’m not surprised at this rumour though, because I’ve been going out with her and our friends a lot recently and many people have asked us to take photos with them, but I don’t think the person Jiafa is referring to is me,” the actor concluded. The pair also played mother and son in The Journey: Our Homeland.

Who then, in Jeffrey’s opinion, is the likely man in Felicia’s life? “Romeo (Tan). He’s filmed The Journey: Tumultuous Times and Our Homeland with her previously so they should be pretty close. Romeo’s a great guy too, so I think it’s definitely possible,” he mused.

When contacted by Toggle on her thoughts on the matter, Felicia remained coy, calling the relationship news a "rumour", adding on that "only the heavens know who my soulmate is." She confirmed that she is currently still single.

What about Aloysius Pang, who some netizens have pointed out as a possible candidate? “No, it’s not possible,” he immediately retorted. “I think he’s closer to Xu Bin (than Felicia),” Jeffrey chuckled. While Jeffrey is currently single, he did reveal that he has a few girls on his mind.

He previously let on that he likes demure and sophisticated ladies, and that he has possible candidates both within and out of the entertainment circle. “We’re still at the stage of getting to know each other (…) when I’m in a relationship I’d definitely announce it so that everyone will know,” he shared.
“I’d also want to get married within the year – it’s a wish but I’m not sure whether I’ll be able to fulfill it,” Jeffrey grinned. While he might still be of some distance from his goal, his fellow cast member Julie Tan has been a little luckier in love.

Sharing in a previous interview with Toggle that she is currently dating an entrepreneur 11 years older than she is, she acknowledged the discussions of her love life after the news broke. “I’m not the kind to regret anything I do – I’m happy that I shared the news because that’s my style, I don’t like to hide things and good news should be shared,” she philosophised.

“(My boyfriend) has never put a restriction of how much I can say to the press and he trusts that I can make the decisions in this matter,” the 23-year-old continued. “I’ll share information a little at a time – this way everyone will continue to want to speak to me!” she quipped.

More good news also came Julie’s way when the Star Awards 2016 nominations were released earlier this week. Her role as the much-hated character in The Dream Makers 2, Dong Zi Huai, earned her a spot in the Best Supporting Actress nominees.

“I was really happy to hear the news and the nomination in itself is already a form of acknowledgement,” she grinned. Her nefarious character, however, has earned her quite a bit of hate from viewers.

“There have been threats saying things like ‘Be careful if I find out where you live because I’ll take revenge on you’. I personally don’t keep track of comments but my mom worries a lot about me so she reads them and tells me about it,” Julie explained. “I got a shock but the one who was affected the most wasn’t me, it was her.”

Peace and Prosperity debuts April 4, 7.30 pm on Channel 8.