Friday 12 February 2016

Rebecca Lim announces retirement from showbiz?

At 10am today (Feb 12), the local actress posted an ambiguous message on Instagram and announced that she has “decided to do something that will change my life.”

“I have been thinking about it for a while now as I know it has to be done. Yes, I am retiring,” she wrote, “I know you may have questions for me and I will answer them real soon. Meanwhile, be happy for me.”

Her sudden announcement about her retirement has left fans shell-shocked and puzzled. While some expressed disbelief and regret over her decision to leave, many also supported her by leaving well-wishes on the same post.

Following Rebecca’s post, a statement was issued by a representative from Mediacorp’s artiste management team, The Celebrity Agency, with no confirmation of Rebecca’s retirement. “Thank you for your concern about Rebecca. She will have answers to your questions soon. We seek your kind understanding.”

It’s a surprising turn of events as the 30-year-old shared in recent interviews with Toggle about her desire to film more dramas and take on more acting roles in 2016.

Her acting career is also on a steady ascent, having won the Best Supporting Actress award at the 2014 Star Awards followed by the Best Actress Award at the 2015 Star Awards. Rebecca is also nominated for Best Actress Award at the upcoming 2016 Star Awards for her role in Sealed With A Kiss and is currently filming upcoming mid-year blockbuster series, The Dream Job.

The actress could not be reached for comment at press time.