Wednesday 18 May 2016

Accident Saga Taught Rui En To Appreciate Loved Ones More


This precaution is unusual for local celebrities, but it came as no surprise: a month ago, the 35-year-old actress was involved in a vehicle accident – she knocked down a motorcycle with her BMW – that sparked a media frenzy. She released a public apology the day after the news broke, and concluded her sombre All-Time Favourite Artiste award speech with a 90-degree bow.

In fact, the traumatic events took such a toll on Rui En that her gastric problem, which is usually in control, flared up at this year’s Star Awards Part 2, causing her to “vomit into her hands” while “literally walking in front of the audience”.

Thankfully, she reassured us that she is feeling much better now. “I’ve been exercising and taking good care of myself,” she said. “(It only happens) in times of stress.”

Her friends, family and management have also played a big part in keeping her spirits up during her trying time.

“It’s sad that it would take an unfortunate incident to show me how much I should truly appreciate the people around me, because they really rallied around me and they have shown me a lot,” she told us. “So I’m going to try to take everything that is negative and turn it into something positive – I think that’s the only thing I can do – and one of the positive things would be to learn to appreciate the people around me more.”


Rui En’s face also lit up when we asked for her thoughts on the video montage featuring her loyal fans from all the world pledging their support for her, which was played before she accepted her All-Time Favourite trophy.

“I was so touched! I couldn’t believe they did that,” she beamed. “I didn’t even know I had fans outside of Singapore and Malaysia! (laughs) [Especially] not in those strange, far-flung countries.”

We decided to push our luck and ask how she was dealing with the nastier comments and her recent breakdown on the set of C.L.I.F. 4, but her manager came in and stopped us. “It’s all right, no worries,” Rui En said with an understanding smile when we apologised.