Wednesday 24 August 2016

Fan Bingbing: I’ve met my Prince Charming

12-year-old Fan Bingbing was so mesmerised by the beautiful and doll-like Angela Pan in Taiwanese series, The Empress of the Dynasty, she grew up dreaming of becoming a bright star, just like Angela.

Bingbing worked towards her starry dreams and made her showbiz debut at the age of 16. She created a buzz after playing the character Jinsuo in 1997’s My Fair Princess, but little did anyone know that Princess Ziwei’s (as portrayed by Ruby Lin) maid would one day become the A-lister that she now is.

While her career flourished, she had yet to find her happily ever after. Once, at promotional event for her 2011 movie Buddha Mountain, she even declared, “I’ve never thought of marrying into a rich family, because I myself am a prized catch.”

She explained, “It doesn’t matter whether or not I marry into a rich family, because the person I’m marrying is what’s important. He needs to be able to make me feel warm inside; at the same time, I’m looking for someone who can love me passionately.”

Underneath Bingbing’s tough-as-nails exterior lies a dreamer, who believes that Prince Charming exists. She even describes her ideal type as “the kind of person you read about in fairytales. Apart from being tall and handsome, he’ll pay special attention to you.”

Thankfully, she didn’t have to wait long for Mr. Right—her boyfriend, Li Chen—to appear in her life while working on blockbuster TV series, The Empress of China.

While the pair have crossed paths multiple times after being in the same agency for over a decade, it was only after working on the project together that she got to know him on a personal level. She asked for his number—on the pretext of being the producer of the drama and the rest, as they say, is history. The couple went public with their relationship after dating for six months. Going against the norm, they used their own special method of sharing the news with the people around them: last May, Li Chen updated his Weibo account with a picture of the both of them with a short quote, “Us”. Bingbing reposted it with the same quote, confirming their relationship. After going public, the pair did not shy away from the spotlight and Bingbing has gone as far as declaring on Here Comes Kang Xi that “he’ll be my last boyfriend.” Recently revealed as OSIM uLove’s ambassador, Bingbing shared at the press conference, “I’ve been around in the industry for quite some time and many fans have supported me since I was 16 or 17. “They’ve given me a lot of support both in my life and my career and they have also come to realise that I’m not just a delicate flower – I have some strong characteristics too. I’m someone who has both strong and weak moments.”

While this beautiful, independent woman may have found her Prince Charming, she hasn’t stopped striving to further her career, with her daily schedule packed from day to night. As a self-professed homebody, Bingbing enjoys relaxing at home with a mask on during her off-days and plays with her doll collection from time to time. But what she likes best is watching a movie while relaxing on a massage chair with a cup of honey water.

With its streamlined design and luxurious finishing that’s designed like a first-class plane seat, the OSIM uLove allows Bingbing to enjoy professional massages from the comfort of her home. No matter how tired she gets from a day’s work, there will always be an inviting place to unwind when she gets home, helping her to relieve stress and get a good night's rest.