Thursday 22 September 2016

Mickey Huang: I was depressed for 15 years

Mickey Huang has revealed that he was depressed for 15 years after he broke up with Dee Hsu in 2000. Speaking about his condition to the media for the first time, he shared that he only started to get better in 2012.

The 44-year-old shared that his mother abandoned him before he celebrated his 10th birthday. He recounted the day she left, where he cried on the balcony asking her not to leave, but ended up being left behind regardless. He continued that this incident has left an emotional scar that has yet to be healed till date.

Because of what happened during his childhood, Mickey expressed that he became a negative person. Moreover, his hectic work schedule didn’t allow him time to properly look after his mental health. After splitting from Dee in 2000, he fell into depression and only managed to recover 15 years later.

He shared that he wrote his will in 2004 “in case I suddenly died one day, so that someone would see it when they were taking care of the belongings I left behind”. Mickey went on to say that he has no sense of security and only feels assured when he looks at the dolls and collectibles at home, because “they’re the only ones who won’t leave me behind (…) They’re mine once I buy them.”

He previously mentioned that one of the biggest turning points in his life was in 2009, when a veteran television producer suggested him to entrepreneur Jimmy Lai, which helped his career pick up. After which, he was confirmed for three gigs in 2012 – Red White Red White Victory, Zong Yi Shi Ba Ban (loosely translated to 18 Variety Lessons) and One in a Million.

He resolved his 15-year feud with Dee last year and has since gotten back on his feet. He shared that he now believes in letting go of the bad things that have happened in the past and “ignoring what people think of me, putting down all the negativity in my life and giving it all for my work and my life”. He concluded that with this attitude, “there will be a day that everyone will acknowledge me for what I’ve done”.