Friday 1 July 2016

Rui En fined $700 for careless driving


Rui En has been fined S$700 after pleading guilty to one count of careless driving this morning; she will not be disqualified from driving.

The actress made headlines on April 14 when news of her accident in a Clementi car park was released. Her black BMW is said to have crashed into a stationary yellow motorcycle at about 4.10pm on April 12.

Court documents wrote that she failed to keep proper control of her vehicle while entering the carpark near Block 331 Clementi Avenue 2. She then mounted the kerb and collided head-on into a stationary motorbike. The motorcycle belongs to Mr. Bahrom Sarmiten, 52.


Shortly after her sentencing, in an interview with the media, the 35-year-old shared, "I'm actually very relieved not because of anything (else) but because I can finally put this down, let it go and move forward. I will bear full responsibility for my mistake and I will be cautious not to let such a thing happen from now onwards.

As for the people who I've caused problems for or have caused inconvenience for due to this mistake, such as my company, Hype Records, my friends and my family, I can only say I'm very very sorry.
Moving on, I really really hope to improve and I really hope to come back better, stronger and to give you guys a new Rui En."

In a statement issued to the media, Hype Records added that Rui En expresses regrets for the unfortunate incident and takes full responsibility for her negligence.

The prosecution sought a fine of between S$600 to S$800 along with a three to four month driving ban. For driving without due care and attention, she could have been jailed for up to six months and/or fined up to S$1000.