Friday 15 July 2016

Julian Cheung grapples with son’s use of social media


DIRECT FROM HONG KONG: Julian Cheung Chilam might be turning 45 in a little over a month, but the singer-actor can still give his younger counterparts a run for their money when it comes to his looks.

His ability to maintain his youthful countenance is likely the reason why the Hong Kong star has been appointed by Japanese beauty brand FANCL as their first male ambassador. The brand withdrew from Singapore in March 2014 but re-entered the market this year with Isetan as their partner.

Toggle was invited on a trip to their headquarters in Hong Kong earlier this week and was given a peek at the brand’s operations and stores, along with a chance to speak to Julian himself.

As we stepped into the room, the first thing we noticed was how the 44-year-old’s skin glowed, with him attributing his flawless skin to having collagen twice a day (after lunch and dinner), along with taking special care of keeping his face cleansed and moisturised.



Julian expressed that to him, looking after his looks is more than just for the sake of himself – he feels that it’s a part of being professional as an artiste. Sharing that his wife, fellow actress Anita Yuen, also takes special care in looking after her appearance, he chuckled that she has to spend a little more time to be able to maintain her mien.

In fact, she’s so serious about her beauty regimen that Julian was once reprimanded for trying to rush her into speeding things up a little. “She’s pretty scary when she gets upset, so after experiencing it once, I’ve never tried to rush her again. I’d rather find other ways to entertain myself instead,” he deadpanned.

The same applies to Anita when she’s out shopping, something that his nine-year-old son Morton has somehow caught on to. “In this aspect, my son and I are on the same channel and we’ll quietly wait for her or fall asleep (while she’s shopping)… We sometimes wait until we’re just about to turn into diamonds,” he grinned wryly.

The power couple is known to be fiercely protective of their son’s privacy, but accidentally caught Morton on camera when they broadcasted on Facebook Live while on a family vacation in Italy. Julian shared that while he isn’t against his son making joint appearances with him on programmes, he feels that now is not the time.

“He’s still a student, and kids at this age shouldn’t be exposed to that much attention,” he philosophised. “Everyone knows that he’s our son and may follow him on Instagram because of this – but that isn’t necessarily a good thing.”


Apart from posting pictures of himself and the things around him, Morton has also posted snaps of his celeb parents, which has caused Julian to pay special attention to his son’s social media account. He explained, “I was jumping from a high place into the water and thought it was pretty cool so I asked Morton to take photos for me, but I didn’t know that he’d post it on Instagram.”

“When I checked my Instagram feed, I saw a chubby looking person’s back view and only realised it was me after I took a closer look. That photo made me look fat and not my usual self, so I asked him to delete it,” Julian continued.

Eagle-eyed netizens, however, had already taken screenshots of the photo and the snap even made it onto the news. “My son didn’t know why the photo wasn’t a good one and why he couldn’t post it online. I had to explain it to him, but I didn’t reprimand him for it because he didn’t do anything wrong. The one who did wrong was me, because I didn’t work out enough!” he chuckled.

As for whether he’ll consider allowing Morton to follow in his parents’ footsteps and join showbiz, Julian mused, “He’s still young so we don’t know what he’s good at yet and whether showbiz is for him.” While he won’t encourage him to step into the limelight, neither will this protective father stop his son from realising his dreams, should he decide to become a celebrity.

Having spent much of his youth striving to better his career, Julian admitted that his future plans will include slowing down and spending more time with his family. He also added that he’s currently working to having a second child, explaining, “Technology is so advanced these days and everyone seems to be living well. I think I have the ability to look after more children, so having a few more won’t be a problem.”