Saturday 19 March 2016

THE CHAMPION: Qi Yuwu’s career milestones

The actor and new dad finally joins the All-Time Favourite Artistes hall of fame this year

 

 

When Qi Yuwu attended his very first Star Awards ceremony in the early 2000s, the thought of even winning an accolade felt like a faraway fantasy because of his status as a newcomer and a foreigner. “I was even told by my fellow countrymen that it would be difficult for a mainland Chinese to make it big in Singapore,” he shared with Toggle in a phone interview from Beijing, where he is currently filming a new sci-fi movie called Tian Huo Xing Dong.

Fast forward fifteen years, and the Guangzhou native will be attending this year’s show – if his packed schedule allows for it – as one of the latest inductees (and the only Chinese national) into the coveted All-Time Favourite Artistes hall of fame, a feat that was achieved by racking up 10 Top 10 Favourite Male Artistes trophies. Rui En, who has made the Top 10 Most Popular Female Artistes list every single year since 2005, is also “graduating” this year.

“Of course I’m happy about ‘graduating’,” he said. “To me, it represents how Singapore has been very accepting of me – even when I’m someone from a completely different country and when I started out not knowing how to act, I was still given many opportunities and I am very grateful for that.”

Becoming one of the latest additions to the All-Time Favourites club also brought back memories of his first Top 10 triumph all the way back at the 2004 Star Awards, as well as the dark period before that. “Every year I didn’t win, I felt a bit discouraged and thought, ‘Aiyah, when is it my turn?’, and when I finally got it, it felt like a dream come true and the first sign of my affirmation here in Singapore,” he recalled.

But as the years went by and his collection of trophies started growing, his attitude began to shift. “Everyone wants to win awards, but after a while you get pulled in and winning becomes a means to keep ‘face’,” he explained. “I began to realise that an actor’s responsibility is to improve his craft – there’s no use in winning awards when you have no substance! If your goal is to only win awards, it yields a completely different feel in your acting compared to when you think about what’s best for your character.”